Idea A: A 3D collage where you can mix and match different eyes, noses, hair and skin tones. It was tricky to draw but I think I capture the essence of this idea thanks to a few good references (see below). We abandoned this idea as it was similar to idea C but much more complex to build.
Idea B: layers of infinite information through finding one’s true self. We needing to have one head made of silicone and you would be invited to dig through different layers of flesh. We abandoned the skin tones to focus on the skin as a material, with imperfections, wrinkles, mole etc. With a bit of experimentation, we settle on having small and large piece of ‘flesh’ to be removed pieces by pieces. An oddly satisfying or insanely disturbing experience to which we add a jar of ‘discarded skin’ next to the sculpture as the object was a as important as the way we displayed it.
Idea C: we wanted one sculpture which could combine sound to a tactile experience. I did a first drawing where all the piece would come out like a ‘slice of cake’ shape but we soon realised it was too difficult to build.
I love the reference from the Luc and Francois Schuiten comic book. I like their style and in this particular this page where you can ‘feel’ movement in the blocks building and deconstructing the character when he moves.
I did a more technical drawing imagining that the touch board would be hidden in the back of the head and the pieces would come off from a flat surface in the middle. We wanted to use magnet for the conductivity and hold all the pieces together.
The cuts on my drawing are geometrical shape as we planned to saw off each piece from a Styrofoam head (Steve).
Alliana and KP explained to me how the touch board would work. I did a more technical drawing imagining that the touch board would be hidden in the back of the head and the pieces would come off from a flat surface in the middle. We wanted to use magnet for the conductivity and hold all the pieces together.
The prototyping staff told us this would not be possible and that it would be better to 3D print the head and pieces. I drew some organic shape on Steve to help Khadija who build the head and the pieces with the rhino software.